While many homeowners often take for granted the functionality of a
garbage disposal when compared to other appliances in the home, garbage disposals actually
serve a very important purpose in the kitchen. As most already know, these
appliances consist of sharp blades that are used to chop food waste until
it is of small enough size to fit through holes located at the bottom
of the unit.
Similar to other household appliances, a garbage disposal should be cared
for regularly. To help, our Columbus plumbers have listed 3 do’s
and 3 don’ts regarding garbage disposal care and maintenance:
- Do not pour bleach down the sink. Bleach can damage garbage disposal seals.
If you notice odors coming from the garbage disposal, use orange or lemon
peels, baking soda, or vinegar to treat the garbage disposal.
- Do not turn off the garbage disposal while it is grinding foods. Instead,
allow cold water to run down the sink until all food has been ground.
This can ensure the garbage disposal is completely flushed of food items.
- Do not put potato peels, fibrous foods, grease, or eggshells in the garbage
disposal. These foods cause clogs.
- Do run cold water before grinding and after grinding foods.
- Do allow cold water to run before shutting off the garbage disposal. This
can keep fats in a solid form and keep them from clogging the garbage
disposal. Additionally, this can cool the motor, which can extend the
life of the garbage disposal.
- Do check for leaks on a regular basis to prevent mold from growing in cabinets
beneath the sink and pest infestations.
Need Assistance? Call The Eco Plumbers Today!
Facing garbage disposal issues in your home or business? We encourage you
our Columbus plumbers at The Eco Plumbers as soon as possible. We understand that these types
of issues can arise during the worst hours of the day or night, and that
is why our team is available to provide you with assistance 24/7!
To speak with our plumbers,
get in touch with us today!